After months of rumors and speculation, Microsoft on Wednesday announced its first-ever desktop personal computer (PC), the Surface Studio priced at $2,999. The announcement came at today’s company event in New York City.
Like iMac, it’s all-in-one computer — all its parts are packed in a single base and monitor unit. The computer might have been designed to compete Apple, but Microsoft wants to do a lot than what iMac does.
The computer will be available in limited quantity this holiday for $2,999. The company has begun taking pre-orders from today, and it will also be showcased in Microsoft retail stores before its release.
“We totally believe that Surface changes the way you produce, the way you create, the way you learn,” said Panos Panay, who leads Microsoft’s devices team. “The product I’m going to show you is all of that — but it’s one step further. It’s going to seem familiar, but it’s going to feel different.”
The Surface Studio has a 28-inch touchscreen display contained in an aluminum enclosure with 13.5 million pixels. Panos referred the screen as the “world’s thinnest CLD monitor ever built” at just 12.5mm. The screen also feature “TrueColor”that helps accurately display colors. You can also change viewing modes for better video or photo editing.
Another important feature in the Surface Studio is “True Scale”, which copy the documents and objects in real life. Like, documents appear to be the same size as they are when printed out.
Microsoft’s digital assistant, Cortana, is also integrated with PC with a built-in microphone that lets you control it with just voice commands.
The full specs for Surface Studio are as follows:
- Display: 28-inch 4500 x 3000 PixelSense LCD (192 PPI), 3:2 aspect ratio, Adobe sRGB and DCI-P color settings, 10-point multitouch
- Processor: 6th-generation Intel Core i5 or Core i7
- Storage: 1TB or 2TB hybrid drive
- Memory: 8GB, 16GB, or 32GB of RAM
- Graphics: GeForce GTX 965M 2GB (in Core i5 Studio) or GTX 980M 4GB (in Core i7 Studio)
- I/O: 4 USB 3.0 (one high power), 3.5mm headphone jack, SD card slot, ethernet, Mini DisplayPort
- Wireless: 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0
- Cameras: 5MP front camera with Windows Hello support, 1080p video rear camera
- Sound: Stereo 2.1 Dolby audio